But since the Paragon set was all I had access to, you work with what you’ve got.
I’ll be maintaining a separate page here on progression (slow as it has been), but here’s a sample of the initial cockpit work.
As basically right the Hasegawa Mk. V kit was, it lacks some necessary features for a contest-quality open-cockpit Spit. The Hasegawa designers got one point almost right with the lower cockpit sidewall liners between the seat bulkhead and the instrument panel. If you’re going to go head to head with modelers at a contest, however, those liners need to extend back at least two frames behind the cockpit if you’re going to defeat the penlight-and-mirror judges.
I didn’t, but I did make liners on a Revell Spit Mk I kit that’s on the assembly line. I’ll include some pics later to show the basic configuration.
Also, the Hasegawa fuselage includes no frame detail aft of the seat bulkhead. Simple strip may suffice for the visual effect, but T-section longerons are more to scale. I made t-section longerons by cementing thin flat strips and capping them with square-section strip.
This photo shows the T-longerons to better effect. I had to extend the stringers further aft on the starboard side since I had opened the radio hatch and thus the view inside.